Annual Career Mentorship Weeks with HC Alumni, HC Graduate Mentor Fellows, and the HC Professional Development Council
Every Fall semester our generous Honors College Alumni, along with our HC Graduate Mentor Fellows (GMFs) and upperclassmen mentors in the Professional Development Council offer 1:1 appointments to HC students.
- Alumni offer career exploration appointments as well as career prep in the form of resume and cover letter reviews and interview prep or debrief.
- The Honors College Graduate Mentor Fellows are full-time doctoral students representing a broad range of academic areas. These doctoral fellows share how they have pursued their academic disciplines through research, internships, and further education helping HC students plan for developing professional and academic portfolios, continued education and certifications, as well as network in their respective fields.
- Our HC Professional Development Council offers career prep assistance including resume reviews and discussions about exploring your interests and how to build your professional portfolio at Rutgers.
Distinguished Alumni and friends of the Honors College share their career expertise with our undergraduates through two signature programs: Master Classes and Knightly Roundtables. These programs offer a small group opportunity for students to learn from seasoned professionals about career journeys, trending industry topics, and how to best prepare for life after college while at Rutgers.
Professionals also host students through 1:1 shadowing connections, hold employer recruitment events, share job and internship opportunities, work alongside students at community service CSR events mixed with networking, and host company site visits to give students a taste of their work experience.
Academic Mentoring with HC Graduate Mentor Fellows
Seniors engage with the Honors College Graduate Mentor Fellows as they prepare for graduate school applications and presenting their senior capstone research.
First-years engage with HC GMFs through small group appointments regarding their projects in our first-year mission course, the Forum.
The Official Rutgers NB Honors College LinkedIn Group allows students and alumni to connect regarding opportunities and career exploration.
Online Professional Mentorship
The Rutgers Office of Career Exploration and Success (CES) provides the Student Alumni Career Connect website powered by PeopleGrove to help undergraduates connect with Rutgers alumni in career fields of their choosing. Alumni can designate "Honors College" as students they would prefer to connect with, in addition to populations such as student-athletes and veterans.
If you are an alum, employer, or campus partner interested in the opportunities below, please contact Andrea Rydel, Assistant Dean for Professional Development and Alumni & Corporate Engagement.
- Hosting an info session, career conversations, site visit, or shadowing opportunity
- Collaborating on a corporate social responsibility (CSR) service event
- Sharing an internship, full-time or part-time job, or research opportunity
- Attending a networking event such as our Annual Networking Soiree in April
- Serving as a doctoral student in the Graduate Mentor Fellow position