Earning HC Serves Hours in Changemaking Communities
Students can receive up to 10 Changemaking Points which will count towards their 10 HC Serves hours for the 2020-21 academic year by participating in an Honors College Changemaking Community. One Changemaking point is equivalent to one HC Serves hour. Students can choose from the following menu of opportunities and also reach out to HCServes@echo.rutgers.edu to suggest new opportunities to count towards their Changemaking Points as well or to enroll in a community on an individual basis.
To log your hours, access the HC Serves Form. You will be prompted to submit your community service hours and log in with your net ID and password. Please complete your form for each Changemaking Point opportunity separately and select “Changemaking Points” for the Type of Service Completed and your Changemaking Community Facilitator for Site Supervisor. This is the way your Changemaking Points will be tracked. You will also be able to track your own points through the HC Serves Portal as you make progress along the way.
Menu of Opportunities
4 Points (Check out a Sample Virtual Program Outline for some guidance)
- Host a program or event connected to your Changemaking Community topic. Reach out to your Community Facilitator for more information and support on hosting these programs before you get started!
- Connect with external speakers, facilitators, campus partners, or other Rutgers leaders to host a discussion in your Changemaking Community with others representing diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions, lifestyles, and viewpoints. Reach out to your Community Facilitator for more information and support on hosting these programs before you get started!
- Organize a virtual/in person (depending on safety/guidelines) service opportunity in your community related to your Changemaking Community topic. Reach out to your Community Facilitator for more information and support on hosting these programs before you get started!
- Participate in HC Serves approved Changemaking Community program
- Participate in a Land of the Free Series program hosted by Honors College Student Affairs
- Reach out to the HC Media Team for a social media takeover reflecting on your personal connection to your Changemaking Community topic (one time only)
- Attend a Finding Your Sophomore Community program within your Changemaking Community
- Complete Changemaking Community pre-assessment and community agreement
- Complete Changemaking Community mid-year assessment to be distributed in December
- Complete Changemaking Community Feedback Form to provide feedback to your community
- Post an article, image, or video connected to your Changemaking Community topic and pose discussion questions to the community. Reach out to your Community Facilitator for more information and support before you post!
- Post about and engage peers in learning more about a specific Rutgers organization or initiative in which you are involved that serves the community outside of the university (e.g., works with the New Brunswick and Piscataway communities, engages in global service, educates students on social issues). Reach out to your Community Facilitator for more information and support before you post!
- Participate in and promote Giving Day
- Visit an Honors College Community Facilitator Chat Hours to reflect on your personal connection to your Changemaking Community topic